India / Three killed in air conditioner blaze in Tindivanam

The Hindu : May 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

Three members of a family were charred to death in a blaze that broke out after an air conditioner exploded in a house in Kaveripakkam near Tindivanam in the early hours of Wednesday.

Police gave the names of the deceased as K. Raji, 57, his wife Kala, 52 and son Gowtham, 24, of Kaveripakkam.

According to police, the incident occurred at around 2 a.m. The family had gone to bed after switching on the air conditioner. The AC unit exploded reportedly due to an electrical short circuit and the fire spread into the bedroom and other parts of the house.

The incident came to light after neighbours found smoke billowing from the house and alerted the police who broke open the door.

The bodies were retrieved and sent for post-mortem to the Government Medical College and Hospital at Mundiyambakkam. Further investigations are on.