Israel Warns Turkey Over Syria Military Expansion Plans, Ambassador Says Line Crossed

Add as Preferred Source on Google News
विज्ञापन
Israel Warns Turkey Over Syria Military Expansion Plans, Ambassador Says Line Crossed
विज्ञापन

Israeli Ambassador to the United States, Yechiel Leiter, has issued a stern warning regarding Turkey's military activities in Syria, claiming that Israel had obtained clear intelligence about Ankara's plans for a large-scale expansion of its military presence. According to Leiter, this move was viewed as a direct violation of established agreements, prompting Israel to take military action to prevent the situation from escalating further. In an interview with The Jerusalem Post, Leiter emphasized that while Israel doesn't seek war or increased tension with either Turkey or Syria, a critical line had been crossed that necessitated a response.

Intelligence and the Violation of Agreements

The Ambassador stated that the intelligence gathered was explicit and indicated that Turkey was preparing to broaden its military footprint in Syrian territory. This activity was considered a breach of the understandings that had been put in place to maintain stability in the region. Leiter noted that the relevant parties who needed to be informed about the intelligence were notified, and those who should have known the consequences of such actions were well aware. He clarified that Israel had made it evident that these plans were a violation of their agreements, which ultimately led to the Israeli strikes.

The Strike on Abu al-Duhur Airbase

The military response mentioned by Leiter refers to the Israeli strikes conducted on Tuesday at the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Aleppo in Syria. This action was taken after warnings regarding Turkey's alleged moves were reportedly ignored. Syrian officials confirmed that the airfield was targeted at least 8 times. Subsequent satellite imagery revealed significant damage to the runways, confirming the intensity of the operation.

Diplomatic Context and the Paris Meeting

Leiter explained that Turkey's alleged actions went against the understandings reached between Israel and the administration of Syrian President Ahmed al-Shara during the presidency of Joe Biden in the United States. These understandings were aimed at keeping the situation in Syria stable, while these agreements were further reaffirmed during a high-level meeting in Paris in January 2026. The meeting was attended by several key figures, including Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani, US Envoy for Syrian Affairs Tom Barrack, Yechiel Leiter himself, then-National Security Council chief Gil Reich, and Netanyahu's military secretary Roman Gofman, who now serves as the Director of Mossad.

Territorial Presence and Security Zones

The Ambassador highlighted the disparity in military presence between the two nations in Syria. He pointed out that Israel's presence is limited to a security zone covering only 78 square miles. In contrast, Turkey has gradually expanded its control over the past several years, now occupying approximately 3,500 square miles in northern Syria. This area accounts for nearly 5 percent of Syria's total territory. Leiter argued that the current status quo meant that just as the Turks shouldn't advance, Israel wouldn't advance, and neither side should force the other to retreat.

US Reaction and Policy Consistency

Regarding the international reaction, Leiter noted that senior US officials didn't condemn the Israeli strikes, with the exception of Tom Barrack, the US Envoy for Syrian Affairs and Ambassador to Turkey. He suggested that the US administration's policy is focused on maintaining the previously established status quo, which is why President Donald Trump didn't condemn the attack, while despite the tensions, Leiter expressed a belief that the Syrian government doesn't desire a confrontation with Israel. He suggested that Turkey's planned actions might have been imposed upon the Syrians, rather than being a collaborative effort.

Discrepancies in Official Statements

Leiter also pointed out contradictions between the statements issued by Turkey and Syria following the strikes. He mentioned that Syrian Foreign Minister Shaibani acknowledged a Turkish delegation's visit to Syria just days before the attack, a claim that Turkey denied. Leiter suggested that the two countries need to resolve these internal discrepancies themselves. Plus, he stated that Israel remains open to resuming direct talks with Syria when conditions are favorable, expressing a desire to continue the face-to-face dialogues that had occurred previously.

Strained Relations with Ankara

On the subject of relations with Turkey, Leiter mentioned that while Israel is open to dialogue with Ankara, the rhetoric from Turkish leaders remains a significant obstacle. He criticized statements from senior Turkish officials that suggest a desire to see Israel removed from the world map, while " Leiter concluded that as long as Turkey continues to host Hamas leaders and provide funding to Hezbollah and Hamas—groups he described as Iranian proxies—it isn't appropriate for Turkey to expand its influence in Lebanon and Syria. He lamented that Turkey can't be seen as a partner for regional peace under current circumstances, wishing for a return to the cooperative relationship that existed between Jerusalem and Ankara decades ago.

विज्ञापन