In a major development for the youth and job aspirants of Jharkhand, Chief Minister Hemant Soren has announced a landmark decision regarding state recruitment examinations. Following weeks of intense protests by students in the state capital, Ranchi, the government has decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination. Also, the Chief Minister declared that all examinations conducted by the outsourcing agency TSR Data Processing Private Limited, commonly known as TDPL, since the year 2014 will be cancelled due to alleged irregularities. This move is being hailed as a significant victory for the students who have been demonstrating against discrepancies in the recruitment processes conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).
Cabinet Decision and Systemic Reforms
The decision was finalized during a high-level cabinet meeting held on Monday night. Chief Minister Hemant Soren addressed a press conference to share the details of the cabinet's resolution. He emphasized that the government has taken a firm stand to ensure transparency and restore the integrity of the examination system. The Chief Minister stated that the cabinet has decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam and initiate a thorough investigation into all minor and major errors that have occurred in recruitment processes since 2014. To spearhead the necessary reforms and prevent future irregularities, the state government has decided to constitute a high-level committee, while this committee will be headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal, who will oversee the restructuring of the examination protocols.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren's Statement
During the press conference, Chief Minister Hemant Soren provided a detailed explanation of the government's stance, while he said, "All examinations conducted by TDPL are hereby cancelled. For the purpose of implementing reforms, we've decided to form a committee under the chairmanship of IAS Amitabh Kaushal. Secondly, the matter regarding the 14th JPSC was resolved in a meeting with our ministers. Today, we held a cabinet meeting to finalize this matter, while we've decided that the examinations organized by TDPL, the recruitments made through TDPL, or any other work performed by TDPL are cancelled. As far as I believe, there is already an SOP in place regarding how examinations should be conducted, while if that SOP had been followed somewhere or the other, these irregularities wouldn't have occurred.
Investigation Under Judicial Supervision
The Jharkhand government has also decided to ensure that the investigation into these irregularities is conducted with the highest level of transparency. According to the information released, the cabinet has decided that the probe into the examination discrepancies will be conducted under the supervision of a retired judge. State Minister Irfan Ansari commented on the decision, stating that the government has accepted the primary demands of the students. He confirmed that there is a consensus on cancelling the CGL exam and that all exams conducted by the outsourcing agency TDPL since 2014 will be scrapped to maintain the sanctity of the recruitment process.
Student Reactions and Continued Demands
While the government's announcement has brought a sense of relief to many, the protesting students have expressed mixed reactions. Student leader Ravindra Paswan acknowledged the decision as a major victory but emphasized that their struggle isn't yet over. He stated that the demand for a CBI investigation has not been met yet. Paswan said, "We've won a big battle, but there is still more to achieve, while " The students had previously announced a plan to surround the Chief Minister's residence on August 20, which intensified the pressure on the administration.
Gratitude and Vigilance from Student Leaders
Another prominent student leader, Devendra Nath Mahto, expressed his heartfelt gratitude to the Chief Minister and the administration. He thanked all the students, parents, media members, and the police administration for their support during the movement. Mahto appreciated the government for taking the students' issues seriously and catching the corrupt individuals involved in the scams. However, he remained cautious, stating that the students are waiting for the official notification, while he mentioned that he has seen cases where CBI or CID probes were ordered and then cancelled. Mahto emphasized the need for a system where the government guarantees that paper leaks and irregularities will never happen again in the future. He assured that the students would cooperate with the government in building such a strong system while continuing their struggle for permanent reforms.