Uttar Pradesh / Alive probably because I'm an anchor: Journalist who was robbed at gunpoint in Noida

Zoom News : Jun 22, 2021, 12:54 PM
Noida: In a narrow escape, a journalist of a Hindi news channel was allegedly robbed and assaulted in Noida Extension on Saturday night. The horror tale of the journalist named Atul Agrawal came to the fore through his Facebook post where he said the accused forced him to give Rs 5000 cash after trying to choke him.

As per the Indian Express report, no complaint has been filed but Noida Police is probing the case.

“It has come to our notice that a senior journalist was attacked by a group of men on Saturday. We have taken cognisance of the issue even though the victim has not informed the police of the incident. Teams have been formed and we will soon arrest the accused,” the report quoted Harish Chandar, DCP Central Zone.

Agrawal is an editor-in-chief of the Hindi Khabar news channel, and posted about the incident on Facebook account. The journalist who is a Noida resident was travelling in his Safari car when he was stopped by five men on motorcycles near Rice Police Booth in Bisrakh at 1 am. After he lowered his window, one of the accused pulled a gun and asked him to hand over valuables.

During the course of the event, the accused also took his phone and made him unlock it. While the accused noticed the press sticker on his car and seem to have recalled him, noted the journalist. They eventually threw his phone in the backseat, threatened him with dire consequences if he spoke about the incident to anyone, and sped off on their bikes.

"My mobile's IMEI number, all my details and my finger prints, etc., are all registered with the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. Wherever you take this phone and use it, you will come under surveillance. After this, I don't know what came in his mind that he threw my phone on the car seat and while abusing said that it is okay. We're leaving. After that they fled from the spot If someone is told or followed, you will die."

No arrests have been made in connection with the case so far, according to the police.

Agrawal said he hopes the misled youth walk the path of righteousness in the future and thanked them for sparing his life.