Delhi News / When the accused of gangrape were released from the daughter, the parents cried bitterly, saying - 'the desire to live is over'.

Vikrant Shekhawat : Nov 08, 2022, 09:49 AM
Delhi News: After the acquittal of all three accused in the 2012 gangrape case in Delhi's Chhawla area, the victim's parents said that we have not only lost the war, but our will to live has also ended. The victim's father said that the Supreme Court has disappointed him with the verdict and he has lost faith in the judiciary after fighting for more than 11 years. He also alleged that the system was taking advantage of their poverty.

In the year 2014, a trial had sentenced the three accused to death, calling the case the rarest of the rare. Later the Delhi High Court upheld this decision. The three men are accused of kidnapping, raping and brutally killing a 19-year-old girl in February 2012. His mutilated body was found three days after the abduction.

We lost the battle, the will to live is over: Victim's mother

The victim's mother wept bitterly outside the Supreme Court premises and said, 11 years later, this verdict has come. We lost…we lost the battle…I was living with hope…I have lost my will to live. I thought that my daughter would get justice. The victim's father said, whatever was to happen to the criminals, it happened to us.

He said, for 11 years, we have been wandering from door to door. The lower court also gave its verdict. We got relief. We also got assurance from the High Court. But the Supreme Court let us down. Whatever had to happen to the criminals, happened to us. Meanwhile, women's rights activists criticized the Supreme Court's decision.

I am completely shocked - social worker

Activist Yogita Bhayana, who was present with the parents of the victim outside the court premises, said, "I am completely shocked. In the morning, we were sincerely hopeful that the apex court would uphold the death sentence and we also felt that they may commute the death sentence to life imprisonment. Social worker Vinod Bacheti had been supporting the family in the fight for justice for the last 10 years. They said they would hold a meeting on Tuesday to discuss the future course of action. He said, we have been supporting the family for the last 10 years. The incident happened on February 9, 2012 and 10 months later the Nirbhaya gang rape took place. (Chhawla) The victim was also bearing the expenses of her family.